Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Powdered Sugar - a test in patience.......

As I stated earlier, all commercial powdered sugar contains cornstarch. I have not been able to find one brand that doesn't have it. So I must make it from scratch. It can be made too! All you need is a blender (a VitaMix is a wonderful help!), normal granulated sugar, and time.

First, make sure the blender is very dry.
Second, add about 1/4 c. sugar
Third, place wet rag on top of blender lid to catch escaping sugar.
Fourth, blend on highest setting for about 5 minutes.
Fifth, taste to see if there is any graininess to the sugar.
If yes, let the blender cool a minute and proceed to blend again for a couple more minutes.
If no, dump out into container, and start again at step one.

It is very important that you let the blender cool between blendings. Why you may ask? Well, if the blender gets too hot it will start to melt the sugar. Trust me! I have ruined 2 blenders this way. We want powdered sugar - not caramel:)

A VitaMix is a wonderful help in making powdered sugar. My friend has allowed me to borrow hers and I have made large batches of powdered sugar in a matter of minutes (okay 20 minutes - but it beats 3 hours any day!)

1 comment:

  1. I stand amazed! What a great thing you are doing Teresa. Thank you for serving so many other families while tangibly serving your precious children! sss

    ReplyDelete