Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yeah! New Treat for the Kiddos!

Hannah recently was invited to a birthday party where "Puppy Chow" was on the menu. Puppy Chow? That was my thought too. So going to my favorite spot for questions - Google - I quickly found my answer. Puppy Chow is a mixture of Rice Chex, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Butter, and Powdered Sugar. Could I modify this to work for my kiddos? I did and the kids loved it! They gobbled it all up. But I wanted to test it on an innocent bystander so I gave a few bites to a boy from down the block. He LOVED it! So I consider that a success! Here is the recipe:)

Gluten Free and Allergy Free Puppy Chow:

9 cups of General Mills Rice Chex (the only brand that is GF)
1 c. Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1/2c. SunButter (or any other nut butter that works for your diet)
1/4 c. Flieshman's Unsalted Margarine (has some corn oil in it but my son tolerates it well - - use whatever works for your family)
1 1/2 c. Powdered Sugar - - all commercial powdered sugar contains cornstarch so you will need to make your own. The next post will explain how to make it.
Melt Chocolate Chips, SunButter, and Margarine together until smooth. Pour over the top of the Rice Chex and mix until well blended. After blending, pour mixture into a 2 gallon ziplock bag. Pour in powdered sugar and shake. If you are out of bags (or like me to frugal to buy a box for one bag), I just stirred really carefully to coat well. :)
Store in the fridge as Enjoy Life's Chocolate Chips do not withstand warmer temps well.

No comments:

Post a Comment