Saturday, April 25, 2009

Fish Sauce? Really with allergies????

There is a lot of bad rap on the Internet about fish sauce and allergies. Some sites say to stay away from it if you are allergic to soy. Others warn you that they can be made with either fish or shellfish. So what is the truth? My kids have crazy allergies to sooo many things. So do I have problems? The answer is no.



May I tell you what I have learned after 12 years of cooking for my wonderful DH? From my experience - All of these things are wrong.



Fish sauce is a fermented product made from anchovies. Nothing else! The following website has a good explaination on how it is made: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/fishsauce1.html



There are dozens of brands of fish sauce. Many with names that would make you think that they are made out of shellfish. One brand that I really like is Crab and Scallops brand. It has pictures of crabs and scallops all over the front of the bottle. Read the ingredients though and all it has in it is: anchovy extract, water, salt and sugar.



Be careful though! There are several brands that DO have wheat protien in them. Not all but a few - - and they are usually the more expensive brands.



There are other sauces that do contain shellfish, soy, wheat, etc: oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and some specialized dipping sauces that will contain shrimp.



My favorite brands fish sauce are:


Crabs and Scallops

Golden Boy

Oyster

Squid is fine to use if you have allergies - but it is REALLY REALLY stinky!!!!



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info, Teresa. I was wondering why I DIDN'T react to fish sauce! I have an allergic response to sulphites, potassium sorbate, MSG and peanut, and am intolerant to dairy and gluten, but fish sauce is just great. I use the Squid brand - which contains only anchovy, salt and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I used to avoid fish sauce as I would always lump in in with Soy, Oyster sauce etc... Can't wait to start using it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi. fish sauce causes asthma for me just the same as soy sauce does. i think there is something to the notion that some people who are allergic to soy sauce are also allergic to fish sauce.

    for the record, i also react to unfiltered fermented beverages such as mead an bottle conditioned beers. those give me migraines, tho, not asthma.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhat related, being allergic is not the same as being intolerant. Worth knowing if you keep saying you're allergic, while you're really not. Not to dismiss intolerance as nothing, but it's worth knowing the difference.

    http://www.webmd.com/allergies/foods-allergy-intolerance

    It's also very individual what one reacts to, and are no simple answers as to what works or not. I'm allergic to fish myself (really allergic), but have found that fish sauce may be fine for me (as in an reaction of intolerance). Food allergies and intolerance is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very true. I am allergic to shellfish and I have always been eating fish sauce.

    ReplyDelete