Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mung Bean Pudding




I am married to a Vietamese guy. He loves his sweets. But they aren't like American sweets. They are very different but good. One of them is a whole collection of "puddings". This is a Thai recipe but very similiar to the deserts I have seen at Vietnamese restuarants.

The pictures included were taken by my kids and "Aunt" Kim one night.

Mung Bean Pudding
2 Servings

2 cups water
1/4 cup tapioca flour (this is sometimes called tapioca starch.)
1/4 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup Mung beans (see note)
1/3 cup coconut milk

Boil mung beans in 2 cups of water until tender. It should take about 20 minutes.


The beans should be very soft. Cook them until they aren't stiff in the middle anymore. We realized too late that we hadn't cooked ours enough. It was still good but the beans had a little chew to them still.
Dissolve tapioca flour in a cup of water and add to the boiling mung beans.



Stir quickly and constantly to prevent the bottom from burning. It should thicken.



Add more water if it gets too thick. Add more flour if too watery. A consistency of gravy is ideal.



Add sugar, bring it back up to a boil and turn off the heat






In a separate bowl, mix 1/3 cup of coconut milk with salt. Heat it up in the microwave for a few second just to warm it up. Don't let the coconut milk boil, otherwise it will separate.


DD is stirring coconut milk getting it ready for eating. My two oldest kiddos gobbled this stuff down quickly! By the time we got to the pot there was only one small bowl left!

Serve hot with coconut milk on top.

NOTE: There are two ways mung bean are sold. Whole and Split. The split mung beans are yellow and look like split peas - except yellow. These are the ones you want to buy for this pudding. They usually run about .79 a bag.






5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife is very allergic to Peanuts (and she relates that she is "sensitive" to soy sauce, which basically means she can have it but it tastes weird/undesirable. When in Japanese restaurants, she has them make the rice and foods without soy sauce.

    No peanuts means we avoid Thai food (I love Thai food!). It was suggested to me by a Thai chef to use toased Mung beans for the crunch on Thai foods. Are Mung beans crossreactive with Peanuts allergies? Just wondering as it is in the legume family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am having difficulty finding yellow split mung beans that are not labeled "may contain peanuts/tree nuts" as they are processed in the same factory. Any particular brands that are in fact nut free? Thanks soo much!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....I have never had problems finding mung beans before. I would check the label on mine, but I threw them into a large jar:) Are you looking at an Asian market? I am leaving for a trip on Sunday.....I can check my local Asian market for brands when I get back. I will be gone for a week......but I will get to it on the 6th when I take the kids to soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Brandon, I am so sorry that I have not responded to your comment. Blogger never sent me a notice.....sorry about that! We do not have any issue with mung beans. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and soybean. My son is only allergic to the peanuts. I had never thought of using toasted mung beans instead of peanuts! I love the idea:) I also have a faux soy sauce recipe that I will post. My mom and son use it. My son drenches everything with it:)

    ReplyDelete