Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Yummy Allergy Free Bread!

I have recently found a wonderful bread recipe for the kiddo'! My kids absolutely adore it. They say it is the best bread I have ever made, and they have been eating GF bread now for years. Even my DH says that is very good:) So this recipe must really be good! I found it cruising around the internet trying to find new recipes to cook. I found this one at Karina's Kitchen (Karina's Kitchen- Recipes from a Gluten-Free Goddess: Karina's Delicious Gluten-Free Bread Recipe)

I am posting the original recipe straight from her website, but have made notes where I changed it:) Also, these are the directions for a person who does not have a bread machine. I you would like the directions for using a bread machine, please follow the link to her website.

Delicious Gluten-Free Bread Recipe
Most gluten-free bread recipes rely on eggs for texture and rise. Not this one. This gluten-free bread is tender, crusty, vegan, dairy-free, rice-free, and egg-free.

First- whisk together your dry ingredients and set aside:
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup potato starch
1/2 cup millet flour (I used brown rice flour)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/ 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast- or rapid yeast

You'll need sesame seeds for the top (or hemp seeds); set aside for later. (I skipped this as the kiddos are allergic to sesame.)

Liquid ingredients:
1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cup warm water (at 110 to 115 degrees F)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used Canola. and just so you know - 4T. = 1/4 c.)
1 tablespoons honey- or raw agave nectar to keep it vegan
1/2 teaspoon rice or apple cider vinegar

Ener-G Egg Replacer for 2 eggs whisked with warm water

Proof the yeast in the warm water (110 to 115 degrees F) and a teaspoon of the honey/agave (add the yeast to the water and honey stir; allow it to get poofy).

Add the proofed yeast to the dry ingredients; add the olive oil, remaining honey/agave, cider vinegar and mixed egg replacer (or egg); beat until a smooth batter forms. I use the word batter because gluten-free bread dough is more like batter than dough.

Scrape the dough into a 1.5 pound loaf pan (or 7 to 8-inch round cake pan for ciabatta style) and smooth evenly (I use wet fingers).

Top with sesame seeds. (Skipped this step.)

Loosely cover the pan and allow the dough to rise for 20 minutes in a warm spot. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

When the oven comes to temperature bake the bread until it sounds hollow when thumped. This might be anywhere from 35 to 45 minutes, and even up to 60 minutes if you're at higher altitude. Lower style round pan loaves will bake at 30 to 40 minutes, usually.

If you like a crusty loaf, remove the bread from the pan and return it naked to the oven for an additional 10 minutes- keep an eye on it and don't let it get too brown. It should be a light golden color.

Cool on a wire rack.

3 comments:

  1. i just found your blog. I can't wait to try this bread today. We have three in our family with Gluten Intolerance and Grandfather. We also have friends at church whose children are allergic to about everything. I'll be sending her over too.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your site from mollygreen@econobusters.com and her eNews I get weekly.
    Thank you for your encouraging and helpful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad i found your site! your recipe will be an add on to my weekly staples especially my little boy can't get enough of breads, but has allergies to many many things.

    ReplyDelete